Skydive for Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice
You might be aware that Complete Pool Controls Ltd supports Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice, the great charity that offers care and support to children with a shortened life expectancy in both their own homes and at the hospice both through donations and fund raising.
This began when we helped them out with their spa and we received a beautiful handmade card from the children themselves complete with fluffy cotton wool clouds. This was followed by donating £500 at Christmas rather than give out Christmas presents to our customers.
Card from Bluebell Wood
The latest round of fundraising will be as part of Bluebell Wood’s Adventure Challenges. Lucy and Rob, who both work in the CPC office, will be taking part in a Skydive on 6th July 2014 at Hibaldstow Airfield.
If you would like to sponsor Lucy and Rob please click the link below. Many thanks.
For more information on the work of Bluebell please visit www.bluebellwood.org
What's New for Spring...
Mr Sun Fun ~ Spring
What a difference a year makes, with improved optimism fuelled by an improving economic outlook and better weather last year, and even more optimistic weather forecasts for this summer….believe that when we see it!!!
For our part, CPC has reinvested in its business at record rates, including the launch of Gold Horizons specialities, the near doubling of marketing support programmes and commissioning of new head office administration facilities (end of May completion). Perhaps we need the 2014 weather forecast to come good!!!!
Mr Sun Fun ~ Summer
Hi Vis Pooltesters - we have a 'May Offer' on these, please call the office for more information.
New High Vis Pool testers with white background allow for easier comparisons of colour standards.
Hi Vis Pooltester
Kit 1 tests for chlorine, bromine (conversion) and pH – orange case.
Kit 2 tests for Oxygen/ Aquablanc (except peroxide) and pH
CPC have teamed up with Descon GmbH to widen its range of automatic dosing & control equipment (www.descon-trol.de ).
The units are very well engineered and offer a potentiostatic chlorine measurement system which provides a very stable chlorine measurement.
The descon-trol S is ideal for domestic pools with peristaltic dosing pumps models offered.
The range includes: Free chlorine, pH & temperature
- Redox, pH & temperature
- Aquablanc chlorine free, pH & temperature
Our new range Gold Horizons has been very popular since we launched it at the beginning of April. We have various marketing items available for you, including the following:
Might Pods Stand
Gold Horizons Stand
Other marketing items are available on request, please contact us for more information.
14th May 2014
Sandford Parks Lido, Opening Day May 2014
Saturday 10th May saw Sandford Parks Lido, Cheltenham, open its doors for the new season. To celebrate the opening of the lido an entrance fee of two pence was charged and the staff were dressed in traditional uniform.
Jack Laugher was there to open the gates, sign autographs and taught some diving techniques to a group of local children.
Jack, International diver for Great Britain, British Champion and double World Junior Champion, recently won 2 bronze medals at the World Series in Moscow.
Check out the Lido's website http://www.sandfordparkslido.org.uk/
Gold Horizons - Cutting Edge Water Treatment Technology
Our Gold Horizons range is here and ready for your pool and hot tub customers; pre-orders have been packed and despatched. The Gold Horizons spa fragrance range will be ready for despatch at the end of April.
Gold Horizons - arriving
Gold Horizons is an innovative, speciality range and we have a wide choice of marketing support available for our dealers. All of the products are listed in the 2014 brochure and a Dealer Chemical Manual is also available listing the complete range as well as application and dosing instructions.
Water Treatment Specialists
We have an exclusive partnership with international water treatment specialists HaloSource Inc. The agreement with US-based HaloSource Inc, a global developer of clean technologies for water purification, allows us to bring innovative products and solutions to the UK market under our new brand Gold Horizons. Designed to improve performance and deliver greater convenience, the cutting edge products in the new range include 'throw and go' pre-measured soluble sachet technology, environmentally friendly water clarifiers and heat retention pool products.
CPC - HaloSource Partnership
Environmentally Friendly - Recycled Crab Shells
This is the first time that such a wide range of these unique products will be available to UK customers. Fully compliant with UK and European legislation and offered with UK weights, the products include liquid solar heat loss preventers that create films on pool surfaces to protect against evaporation losses and natural clarifiers based on Chitosan, a product extracted from recycled crab shells and other crustaceans with proven flocculating and coagulating properties.
Marketing Material for Gold Horizons
- Gold Horizons Stands (brand new and tailored specifically for the GH range)
- Mighty Pod Countertop Display Unit
- Full Colour Brochure
- A2 Showroom Posters (3 different styles available)
- Clip Frame for A2 poster
- Vinyl Banner
- Countertop A4 poster (3 different styles available)
- Dealer Chemical Manual
All of the marketing available will be shown in our Spring Newsletter, which is due out shortly. Please contact us if you would like further information.
Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group - Polyaluminium Chloride PAC Dosing
What is continuous flocculation?
Continuous flocculation is a process of binding impurities in the swimming pool water into larger particles which are not big enough to be trapped in the filtration system.
It is strongly recommended by the Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group and importantly it is a highly effective method of dealing with chlorine resistant infections such as cryptosporidium (a highly infectious organism that causes chronic cases of severe diarrhea).
Flocpac Super is the perfect product to be administered via the Flocdos + pump.
The product is ready to use and system is designed to take the chemical directly from its supply container.
The product is dosed at a rate dependent on the pool flow rate i.e. if a pool has a filtration flow of 100m³/hr the dose rate is 0.1 to 0.3ml/m³/hr. Therefore the dose rate should be 10-30ml/hr i.e. 240-720ml/day or 1.7 - 5 litres per week.
Flocdos - Installation
- one system require for each pool.
- no system should be fitted to the pools with high rate sand filtration.
- only for use with sand filters.
- injection of product should be pre-filter.
- injection point should be at least one metre from the filter inlet, and as far away as possible form the filter inlet.
- ideally, injection point to be no more than 1.3m from floor but at least located at a manageable height.
- auto controller sampling should be pre floc injection.
- injection runs should be sheathed and as short as possible.
- pressure switch should be fitted psot filter and set to operate when filter pumps go down of any reason.
- product FlocPac Super to be taken directly from carbuoy and not diluted.
Polyaluminium chloride (PAC) dosing
The Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group released the following new technical note in February 2014:
A PWTAG Technical note 24
Continuous coagulation with polyaluminium chloride has long been recommended by PWTAG – especially in the light of the threat fromCrytposporidium. Like all coagulants PAC works by extracting and then clumping together dissolved, colloidal and suspended matter. The resulting floc is then trapped on the filter.
This note clarifies the application and dosing rates for the various different grades of polyaluminium chloride being sold in the UK.
Filtration through a porous medium such as a sand bed is an efficient and cost effective means of reducing water turbidity. But sand filters are very limited in their ability to remove Cryptosporidium. Research at Swansea University for PWTAG in 2004 demonstrated the importance of coagulation in filtering out Cryptosporidium oocysts. Without coagulation removal rates in a single pass of a medium-rate filter were about 50%. This was dramatically improved, to over 90%, by dosing polyaluminium chloride.
PAC is directly and continuously dosed from the containers in which it is delivered at a rate of about 0.1ml/m3 of the circulation flow. (It is very important that it is not diluted with water as it will form a gel.) This must be mixed as evenly as possible throughout the water flow.
Where to dose
Following dosing, coagulation of pollutants happens quite quickly. Flocculation is a slower process, where the coagulated particles come together in flocs, so it is important that there is sufficient time before the water reaches the filter media. At least 10sec is recommended, at a flow velocity not exceeding 1.5m/sec. This can normally be achieved in the space in the filter above the filter media. But to ensure the best possible mixing, PAC should be injected as far before the filters as possible – but after the place where the sample for the chemical controller is taken.
How to dose
For a pool with a capacity of 450m3 (100,000 gallons) and a turnover period of 2 hours the circulation rate is 225m3 per hour. The PAC dosing rate for this pool would be 22.5ml per hour. This is a very small quantity (two and a quarter 10ml test tubes per hour) and is difficult to dose accurately.
Most chemical dosing pumps used for dosing the other chemicals used in swimming pools are not capable of adding this small quantity accurately and continuously. The most suitable type of dosing pump is a peristaltic pump.
Different grades of PAC
PWTAG recommends a normal dosing rate of 0.1ml/m3 of the total flow rate, which it has also described as 0.005ml/m3 as aluminium. There are now a number of different grades of PAC with aluminium concentrations between 9.5% and 18%. The concentration of aluminium is not the only consideration when selecting a grade of PAC to use. (If it was, PWTAG would be recommending the much cheaper alum – aluminium sulphate.)
Commercially available PAC products are characterised by their degree of basification – ie the concentration of hydroxyl groups (OH) relative to aluminium ions. PAC products can be in the range of 5%-65% basicity. As a general rule, the higher the basicity, the higher the polymer content and thus cationic charge density and efficiency. Higher basicity products have a lower aluminium content but are more efficient in clarification of water (ie turbidity/suspended solids removal). Because there is less aluminium content there is less aluminium in the backwash water. Furthermore, aluminium residuals are minimised.
The lower aluminium content products have a higher basicity, so the best advice that PWTAG can give is to use the same dosing rate for all grades of PAC, that is 0.1ml/m3 of the total flow rate.
1 PAC should be dosed as far upstream of the filters as possible, but after the chemical controller's sample point.
2 PAC should be dosed continuously using a peristaltic pump.
3 All grades of PAC should be dosed at a rate of 0.1ml/m3 of the total flow rate.
Link to article: Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group - Polyaluminium chloride (PAC) dosing.
Commissioning An Outdoor Pool in Spring
Spring has sprung and that means it's time to start opening outdoor pools; here are a few hints and tips to help you. If you have any questions about your pool then please leave a comment below and we will be happy to help.
- Ensure that the pool water level is close to the top of the pool to give sufficient water to be able to vacuum to waste.
- Clean and remove winter debris cover and if possible allow to dry before folding up and packing away for the summer – if the cover has sustained any damage during the winter now is a good time to get it repaired so it is ready for the autumn.
- Re-commission plantroom equipment.
- With the multiport valve in the waste position vacuum the pool floor to remove any debris that has settled during the winter – keep an eye on the water level in the pool as it will drop while you are vacuuming.
- After vacuuming give the filter a good backwash and rinse, then set it in the filtration position and keep the filter pump running.
- Brush pool walls thoroughly to get anything ‘clinging’ to the walls into suspension so the filter can start to remove any debris.
- Test the pool water paying particular attention to pH, total alkalinity and calcium hardness – if there has been a lot of rain during the autumn it is likely that all the levels could be below the ideal ranges. Dose the pool with any products required to correct the levels.
- Shock dose the pool with chlorine to satisfy any chlorine demand and establish a chlorine level.
- Apply an algaecide, either a long-life or regularly dosed version.
- If the chlorine level is not too high then fit the solar cover and give it a good brushing if required to clean it.
- Keep the filtration system operating continuously for a few days or until the pool water is clear and clean. After a couple of days check the sanitiser, pH, total alkalinity and calcium hardness levels are where they should be after the initial chemical treatments, adjust as required to achieve the ideal levels.
Dealers: We have a spring showroom poster available that displays the typical products required to open a pool. Please ask for one on your next order.
A2 silver snap frames are also available.
All’s Smell That Ends Smell
Launching a New Fragrance Range - by Mark Ramsden.
Launching new products may seem easy but behind the scenes there is a lot to think about – let’s talk you through our new Gold Horizons liquid fragrance range.
- Brainstorming – it’s one thing to recognise product gaps and market needs but quite another to find a saleable proposition. It starts with a good brainstorming session.
- Customer Feedback and Sampling – Field sales reports, range gap analysis, customer requests all need to be assorted to confirm product gaps established above. Some interested customers are then asked more specifically if interest would lead to purchase, under the right conditions of course.
- Finding The Right Supplier – We passionately buy British where we are able but sometimes this is impossible. With the spa liquid fragrance, we heard that there was a perfumery in Gloucestershire that specialised in both old-fashioned smells as well as modern smells – well certainly British for sure.
- Specification Considerations – Fragrances need to linger in the water and be compatible and non-reactive to halogens that they would need to co-exist with.
- Getting Timings Right – This usually coincides with price books, marketing programmes and launch platforms – for CPC this usually is for the forthcoming season.
- Quality Testing the Final Product – involved first smelling all the fragrances and matching to the descriptions of the smells (John Key and Tracey Ogden were the Senior Smellers!). After this, the product was then tested in local hot tubs.
- Presenting New Products Before Launch – Sometimes this requires ‘cheating’ with dummy containers mocked up for exhibitions. In the case of our new liquid fragrances this involved colouring water with pastel paint to show the colour difference. At SPATEX, two customers smelt the coloured water and remarked how nice they smelled – water with pastel shades!!
Two bottles of water with a touch of paint from a child's pastel paint set. Something that we mocked up for show at SPATEX.
- Launch – Set the launch date and work hard to achieve it to avoid customer disappointment.
CPC Sponsors Jack Laugher, Champion Diver
CPC is delighted to be sponsoring the current British Diving Champion, Jack Laugher.
Jack competed in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi and finished eighth in the World Championships held in Shanghai. Jack also competed in the London 2012 Olympics at the age of just 17.
Jack has started 2014 in a winning way, at the beginning of February he achieved 2 gold medals at the British Diving Championships. What a fantastic way to start the year!
We look forward to spending time with Jack.
You can read more about Jack on his website.
Gold Horizons - The Start of a Golden Era
Early March 2014, Gold Horizons Update...
We are very pleased to have taken delivery of the materials required to start packing our new premium range, Gold Horizons.
Dave Green, our Warehouse Supervisor, unloaded the delivery vehicle and the production department is busy getting it ready for packing. We are just waiting for the new labels to arrive before it's all hands to the pump to get our new range ready to despatch.
Gold Horizons - new product arriving.
Gold Horizons - The Start of a Golden Era
We are proudly introducing our super premium range; Goldhorizons® and GoldhorizonsSPA®. Set for full product release on March 31st 2014, this is an innovative and attractively packaged range of convenient ‘Solution-Led’ products for pools and hot tubs. The range is ideal for those wishing to save time, explore new and unique treatments or for problem solving. The “gold standard” includes much anticipated ‘Throw & Go’ Water treatments, heat retainers, natural clarifiers and solution resolving chemicals.
Soon you will be able to benefit by saving time, effort and hassle in the treatment of your pool and/or hot tub. Gold Horizons products are made from quality formulas and sourced from leading world manufacturers in both America and Europe.
Please contact the office if you would like help and information.
Gold Horizons - a film about our new products.
Hot Tubs - A Little Piece of History.
In the early 1900s the Jacuzzi brothers emigrated from Italy to California. They were engineers by trade and set up a company bearing the name Jacuzzi. One of the brothers, Candido, invented the whirlpool bath in the late 1940s.
Candido’s son, Kenneth, was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis as a young child and received hydrotherapy treatment in hospital for his chronic pain. Candido and a team of engineers invented a submersible pump (the J-300) so that Kenneth could have a soothing hydro massage in the bathtub at home.
As a result, in the mid 50s, Jacuzzi developed a small niche in the surgical supplies market for the J-300 pump and it was sold to hospitals and schools. In the late 1960s Roy Jacuzzi (Candido’s grandson) joined the company and had the idea of marketing the J-300 to the growing leisure and fitness market. Roy developed an integrated system and patented the first bathtub with a built-in whirlpool system.
The rest, as they say, is history…
Jacuzzi, History, 21/11/2013, http://en.jacuzzi.eu/jacuzzi-world/history
Funding Universe, 21/11/2013, http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/jacuzzi-inc-history/